Monday, August 8, 2011

My Shoe Fetish

Like most women, shoes are my weakness. And this is not the need to buy shoes on an impulse ala Imelda Marcos and leave it in a box or corner collecting dust.  My affinity for shoes is much related to knowing exactly what I want and need and going through odds and ends to have it.

My process in looking for the shoe I have in mind is very similar to how I look for a boyfriend.  I know exactly how I want my perfect shoe to be -- it has to be cute, looks good, works well with my outfits, works well with my lifestyle, dependable, comfortable, is in it for the long haul, comes in my exact size, comes in the color you like...and did I mention cute? LOL

I go through great pains in finding the pair of shoe I want.  Hang in there with me, because there is a method to this madness.  It could start from a fashion inspiration or a need to align with my existing wardrobe.  Then I would get a picture in my head. 
this was what I had in mind except it didn't have my size :(


A recent instance was when I felt I needed a high heel shoe this that would go well with bootleg trousers and pants that would be comfortable enough to walk in during the summer.  Comfortable means no stilettos and airy enough to for the summer.  As such the idea of black platform strappy sandals.  Not any kind of platform strappy sandals too -- classy and dressy looking enough that I can use to the office without get malicious advances from people (in other words, no slutty attention hungry looking shoes please).
No. Definitely not this.

This wasn't only a recent post-nomad behavior of mine.  During the pre-internet days back in the Philippines, I would scour every single shoe store in every single mall in Metro Manila to find my shoe. I had that much patience and probably that much time in my hands to put this in my priority list.  I also wasn't limited on time since the seasons don't really change in the Philippines.  I could take my time looking for the shoe I had in mind for as long as I get what I want.  Much like looking for the right boyfriend for as long as you are young and had all the time in the world. :-)


Being in a place where there are four seasons, though changes the whole story.  If I don't find my platform shoe two months into the summer, I totally lost my window.  Being in August, I unfortunately lost my window.  As such I did something that I wouldn't have normally done --settle on something else.  I had to settle to a strappy platform espadrille wedge -- close to the look I was going for, but not dressy enough as I would have liked it to be.  Going back to the boyfriend analogy too, as you're nearer your deadline, you tend to compromise with what's available. LOL
if you're at a deadline, you tend to settle.


Now that we're looking toward spring weather, looks like I may need to look forward to my shoe needs in the fall.  What do you think? Leather riding boots? pumps?  or clogs that I could wear in the winter too?

No comments:

Post a Comment